Friday, January 21, 2011

Another French education FAIL

In French high schools, teachers can just cancel class with no warning. I waited with a class for fifteen minutes before someone went to ask if she was even at the school--negative. Then the kids all just left campus, half the class on the same metro as me! Coming from a very competitive US school where no class time is ever wasted or cancelled (except for snow), it blows my mind that there are no substitute teachers and that hours can be chipped away from academic time like this! No one is helped in this system!

I am rather outraged for the children's sake, yes, but I'm also annoyed for myself... I have nothing to do outside of work, but it really is annoying to just be waiting around for people who don't give you any notice that they will be gone. It's just inconsiderate. I have other professors that do notify me!

Life update: Sickness healed. Went to a bar last night to see fellow assistant and Knoxvillian Christopher play blues/folk music on guitar and banjo. It was comforting to hear the music of Tennessee, even if I usually only listen to it at Dollywood. Tried to sleep, but Thursday is the party night of the students and Place Sainte Anne was soooooo loud until 2 or 3am... Then the garbage trucks woke me at 5:30... Ugh.

So far this weekend is pretty empty. Since I lost my phone at Disney, I have very few numbers. There is an assistant from Normandy I'm going to meet up with after work to show her the town. Hopefully, something will pop up. The problem is that I'm poor, with only 11,87euros to my name... My housing aid hasn't come through yet, and the website says my file is being studied at the moment :( Guess I'll be mooching until payday next Friday--or just living off the oatmeal and goldfish crackers Ma sent me.

No comments:

Post a Comment