Saturday, October 16, 2010

STRIKE: Day 3

Friday was another day of frustration--no students! But luckily, I ran into Julie and Laetitia who helped me moved in! Laetitia drove to Julie's place to pick up the beds (two singles I'm putting together) and take them to my apartment. After helping me carry those up, she also drove to PA's place and helped me move all my stuff out of there and into my now full apartment! I'm so grateful to her! She also lent me a comforter and gave me a bunch of French celebrity magazines to peruse ;)

So yesterday afternoon/evening was spent setting up the place for tonight's housewarming party! I just learned this tidbit on how to say housewarming in French, or une pendaison de crémaillère: "Crémaillère is the metal hook in a chimney were you hang the pot. Originally, when the pot was hung, you were ready to prepare a meal, therefore the house was ready to live in.
 
"If it's on a written invitation you'd write : 'nous pendrons la crémaillère le 16 octobre" [we will hang the hook on October 16] or simply "pendaison de crémaillère le 16 octobre'."

Sorry for such a short post, but I have some home-goods and food shopping to get done for tonight's soirée! I  wish you could all be there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment